One of my favorite things about coming to Dominica has been all the wonderful new friends I have gained. We have shared so much and supported one another through it all, wether it be encouraging words to help you jump off a 50 foot cliff in to the atlantic ocean, or someone to listen to you in a time of need, we form a close and unusual bond here. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that we are all going through the same thing and so we become each others make-shift families. It was hard to leave my family back home, and I'm sure it was hard to watch me go. Now as the semester comes to an end I'm having to say goodbye to some of my Dominica "family".
Brittany and I at Pagua Bay -photo courtesy of Andrea ;)
Tomorrow Brittany, one of the girls I've come to know pretty well and think of as part of my "family" here, is leaving. I'm really happy for her that she gets to go home and see her family and continue on with her life, but I'm really sad that means I may never see her again. :( I wish her nothing but the best on her journey ahead. I will miss her a lot.
Braving Aba Wavine with the ladies. Heather leading the way!
Heather another member of my family is leaving on Friday. Her and her family are Miami bound. Again I'm so happy they are moving on and going back to the states, but she and her family will greatly be missed here. I will miss losing , miserably, Ticket to Ride to you! And I hope Alex's curiosity for dinosaures and paleontology continues to grow! (I want you to know its amazing a 3 year old can say that word and know what it is, cause I had to look up how to spell it!)
The Roy family at Crescent Moon
Then there is the Roy family. They leave Friday as well. They have always been a pleasure. I will always think of Jacquelle as Supermom! I hope one day I can be half the mom to one child as she is to 5, well actually 6 children. I love walking to the school and seeing them coming back from the beach and hearing about all the treasures they found there! Rocks and shells and sea glass galore! I will miss seeing all of your smiles!
But sure enough as all my new friends move on to their new adventures, a new crowd is moving in. That means more friends and family. And although None of these new mystery friends will replace any of the ones leaving, its comforting to know that there will be more smiles, and more laughter, and most likely more losing games. This is just the cycle of Dominica.
So to all my friends that are leaving here for good, I will miss you! In some way you have all left an imprint on me that will last forever and when I think back about Dominica in years to come, I will no doubt think of you as well. Lastly, good luck to you in all that comes your way.
And to all the friends I have yet to meet... Bring on the adventures!
No comments:
Post a Comment