Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My first week on the Island

I just got back from playing games with the spouses. It was so much fun! I played a game called ticket to ride. I'd never even heard of it before but now I want it! I can not believe i've been here for a week already! WOW has it flown by! It just doesn't feel like its been a whole week! lol.
I went on the Aba Wavine hike last Thursday, with our neighbor Andrea, and it was so much fun. Most of it was was climbing pretty much straight up and down. I've done climbing before but I've always had a harness, so it was kind of scary to just be hanging on to the side of this cliff and not actually be attached! The beach there was unbelievably gorgeous the the pictures I took didn't do it justice! It was also nice to meet some more people. Everyone I have met here is so helpful and they give me tips on where to get the best groceries and the places not to buy them, and pretty much everything. So it is really nice how everyone really tried to make you feel at home as much as possible.
Aaron and Lenny (our neighbors) play on a flag football team, so on Friday evening they had a game. It was fun to watch, and Andrea(Lenny's wife) really gets into it, half the fun is listen
ing to her! Aaron end
ed up getting hit in the mouth- I told him to stop mouthing off ;), it was an accident by one of the other teams players, but he's got a nice gash on the inside of his cheek now.
Saturday Aaron, Andrea and I went to Roseau and went to the market and some bigger grocery stores. Roseau is a bigger city them where we live so you can find certain things there cheaper. There are also things that you may not be able to find here in Portsmouth that Roseau may have. One thing I've learned that I have heard from pretty much everyone is that if you find something you like stock up cause you may not see it again for weeks or months at a time. Roseau was an adventure! Ross arranges transportation so when you get there you only have a couple hours to go where you need to and get what you need. I can't imagine what wold have happened if Andrea hadn't been there to guide me! She knew just where to go and gave me an idea of what kinds of things to get there and what to just get here. You can't take your bags into the stores there, each store has cubbies that are numbered and the person behind the counter gives you a card with the number of your cubby and then you return after you shop and get your bags back. I thought that was interesting, it's definitely got to d
eter theft. After we got home we went and had lunch at KFC, yup we have one of those! Then Aaron wet to school to study and the rest of us walked to Tina's, our local grocery store, then walked home. I was exhasted! I slept well that night!
Then Sunday Aaron got up and went to school. Andrea and Lenny invited me to go have a picnic at the beach for lunch so Aaron met us and we all ate together then we swam in the beautiful Caribbean sea. It was so nice, the water was just right not too hot or cold. I did end up getting a slight
sunburn, but not nearly as bad as some of the ones I've had before! It was fun, but again when I got home I was very very tired!
Monday was a mellow day, which actually was nice, since the weekend was so busy. I mostly cleaned the apartment. I scrubbed the bathroom from top to bottom, looks much better now! and I swept and mopped the whole place. That is pretty much something that needs to happen daily, it gets dirty so fast cause of the sand and dirt/gravel roads. And I also do a sweep around the house with bug spray daily, we have these tiny little ants and they were just all over when I first got here, its a little better now, but they are still here. I need some Terro! I also leave some cornmeal out in a few places cause they take it back to the nest and eat it but they can't digest it so they die, that has seemed to help quite a bit.
That brings us to today, I cleaned this mornig then we and played games. Sounds pretty bland I'm sure, but it was a fun day! Now I better go make supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment