I'm proud of my Meeka baby. She was only 5 weeks old when she was rescued, so because she was so young when she was taken from her mother and litter mates she missed out on some really important puppy socialization skills. The only dogs she was ever around on the island was Lily and a few play dates to the beach with a couple litter mates Dora, and Koa. So she never really learned how to "play nice" with other dogs. When we first got home, when we saw a dog her fur would stand on end and she would start to try and prove her dominance over them, growling, trying to stand over them, etc. However after taking her to the dog park regularly and forcing her to be around other pups she is finally starting to learn how to act around them and even play with them. I used to get so nervous when other dogs would come around, but now I know she can handle it. She is doing so well! Whenever I see her playing with other dogs I feel like the parent who's child just scored a goal. She LOVES to play with a little beagle named Peanut. He likes to rile up all the dogs and get them to chase him, and oh boy do the girls love it. Meeka also loves the water. the place we go has an area where they are allowed to swim in the lake and so we bring along the Aqua Kong and throw it in and she jumps in after it. I'm so proud that she is learning that playing with other dogs can be fun. I am so happy that we can go to the dog park and let the girls run and play, and its fun for me too because we have met so many nice people there. We have even become members of FIDO which is the organization that got the park to allow the off leash hours. Its great, they have a little get together on the first or second Saturday every month where the dogs can play and the humans can eat breakfast, drink coffee and socialize and they have the occasional "pupnic" where everyone brings some food to share and watch the dogs play. They also help with lost/found pets. We really like it.
"What, who is it? Who's there?"

Leading the way
All kinds of smells!
Making new friends
Keep up the good work Meeky!
No comments:
Post a Comment